Friday, 8 February 2013

Making a Korean traditional lucky bag '복주머니'(Bokjumouny) with MANNAM
'
'복주머니 (Korean lucky bag)'

last Saturday I went to Daegu with my friends to participate in an event for introducing and making Korean traditional lucky bag '복주머니'.

Have you ever heard about '복주머니' before?
  I will briefly introduce it. It is a kind of pocket for  Korean traditional clothes '한복'(Hanbok). There is nothing to put their belongings in '한복'. So they use sleeves or make a '복주머니'.  It was used over 1000 years ago. In '신라'(Silla) or '고려'(Corea) dynasty. Man and woman used together but as time goes by it belongings to woman. It is not only for carrying but also showing their social level. So when noblewomen is going to picnic, there is a '복주머니' at lady's waist.
And the color also has a meaning. Yellow is a symbol of king so it take the center and 4 other colors 'rad, blue, white, black' (the symbol of  4 guardian from 4 direction) surround the center. On the lunar new years day or the day of the first full moon of lunar calender there was a custom to share '복주머니' among the relatives. That custom is originated form sharing a fried bean with wrapping and put into a silk pocket for luck in royal family. I think the name '복주머니' (Korean traditional lucky bag) is from the custom.
- form NAVER dictionary.

The textiles of Korean traditional luck bag
  My friends and I arrived around 2 p.m. at D-cafe. The representative of Daegu MANNAM branch 'Jenny' ,who is my friend, welcomed my company. My friends MANNAM members were prepared the textiles and waiting for others. The event was started soon. Jenny brought a '복주머니' teacher and I translated Jenny's wards unexpectedly. It was quite hard. I needed to know some special term such as 'thread, iron, knot and stitch'. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for my friends about helping and enduring my not good ability to translate. In the class my friends had a experience of drawing a line, cutting the textiles and stitching. While interpreting I had found one surprise thing from some of my friends. They are male so I thought as well as a old stereotype male is not matched with stitch. But they did really well. On the other hands some of women faced difficult.
  Every time when they have difficulty from the language or skill what ever it was, MANNAM members tried to helped each other even thought the members themselves also face to stitch at the first time. I just felt good to watch the motion that among themselves helped each other.

  The teacher said 'This course was not for one day. It would better to take 2 days' but My company didn't have enough time to stay one more day. Therefor my friends and I leaved earlier than others to get the Deagu modern museum. I was sad to leave before the finish the making it. I think Donovan also felt like me so he took a picture with the teacher before leaving the MANNAM's office.

  My friend Jenny recommended the Daegu modern history museum which is located near Gyongsanggamyeong park and she guided for my company.The museum officer gave electronic guide devices to my company.  The equipment of the museum was unquestionably cutting-edge. I was pride as a Korean. I only need  to get close to the exhibit for listening explanations of the exhibit. It was very comfortable.
 Jenny guided my company on the other side. She was very bright at Daegu history. The reason is not only she was born in Deagu, but the history of Daegu is part of her life. During the guiding some times she show her high school and her experience of modern stuffs.

  After looking around the museum, she led to a good restaurant and had a dinner together. The food of restaurant was good especially rice was a good gloss and sticky. When Arty looked at the rice, she automatically  said "This rice is grate" I realized she is a mother. While eating the dinner Rupe found a hair in side of    '참치찌개' (tuna jjigae) so the restaurant supported one more '참치찌개' (tuna jjigae) and two bowl of rice. I felt really sorry about that. But one funny thing was after came back to Gumi, Lupe said "I will go the restaurant again." because the rice was really great. Later I want to let you know where the restaurant is with other good restaurants in Daegu and Gumi. By the way, my company celebrated Adam's birthday and than came back to Gumi.

I was very happy to introduce my hometown Daegu and good volunteer association 'MANNAM' to my friends. and thank you for my friend Jenny and all the MANNAM members to show your volunteer spirits.

6 comments: